Dating these days can be a difficult feat for people from all walks of life. This is especially true for those who identify as nerds, geeks, outcasts, etc.
Often socially awkward folks who seem to struggle with making connections in general, not only do nerds have to deal with various stereotypes placed on them by society, but they also bear the burden of having superior intelligence, which makes it all the more difficult to connect with people of, let’s say, a typical level of intelligence.
Luckily, difficult does not mean impossible. And in the age in which social media and dating apps are king, it is easier than ever for people of all personality types to find love online. If you are a nerd who is having trouble finding people to date in real life, there are options.
Is there such a thing as Tinder for Nerds? Let’s find out.
Is there a Tinder for Nerds?
Let’s be frank, there is a wide variety of dating apps on the market. Nevertheless, not every app works for everyone. However, there are several apps that are especially great for those who may be shy, socially awkward, anxious, or generally have trouble with meeting new people. Particularly, Match.com, eHarmony.com, and OKCupid.com are highly revered by nerdy humans of all kinds. With that in mind, let’s take a look at the pros and cons of each of these sites as well as which one should be crowned king of the nerds.
A great dating app for those who have a decent income, Match.com is definitely a great match for those who are on the nerdier side of life. One of the oldest, most highly-rated, and overall best dating apps in existence, many people turn to Match.com when they are looking to form long-lasting relationships and do not necessarily have the time, energy, confidence, and/or skillsets to approach potential dating partners in real life. Offering an array of complex features, Match.com allows people to connect based on a wide variety of interests and obsessions.
- Pick and choose who you talk to based on whatever criteria you choose.
- Catfish are weeded out, so fake profiles are highly uncommon.
- There is a less conservative site than many others, making it great for anything from hookups to finding your happily ever after.
- The questionnaire to gain access to the site is pretty lengthy.
- Can be on the pricey side.
- You may get more notifications than expected, which will likely drain the battery of your favorite device and prevent you from playing your favorite video games or reading your favorite eBooks during your downtime.
On the other hand, eHarmony is a dating app that makes searching for your nerdy king or queen a cinch. Unlike Match.com, eHarmony makes it possible to find those who are only interested in long-term relationships. Given that the site has created its own scientific approach to match-making, this makes it highly appealing to nerds of all kinds. This means you will be sent matches based on things such as personality, interests, intelligence, humor, and more. However, the site is not LBGTQ friendly, so, if you’re a member of that community, you may want to go elsewhere for dating assistance.
- High success rates.
- Offers a variety of pre-written questions you can ask your potential matches.
- The algorithm helps users find long-term matches.
- Not LBGTQ-friendly
- Relatively conservative
- Rejects people who do not fit into their mold
If you are looking for the best possible dating app for nerds, OkCupid just might be it. A site that was recently upgraded and renovated, this site is considered to be an excellent option for people from all walks of life. Highly-inclusive, this site readily accepts people from all walks of life as well as those with a wide variety of interests and hobbies. Moreover, one of the best features of this sites for nerds is the fact that it includes the ability to add a “Nerd” badge or even “Game of Thrones” badge, which means that rather than having to answer particular questions or calling yourself a nerd in your bio, you can simply add the badge, and let your nerd flag fly!
- Ability to add “Nerd” or “Game of Thrones” badge to help you find your tribe.
- Highly inclusive.
- You have the ability to rank questions based on which is most important to you.
- Recently renovated and upgraded with tons of new features.
- There are more fake accounts than many other sites.
- Useful features are behind a paywall.
pros and cons of dating a nerd
When we hear the word “nerd” we typically think of someone who is unpopular and socially awkward. But in reality, it’s possible to date a nerd, and have a successful relationship.
In fact, some people even consider themselves nerds or geeks as an identity rather than an insult. There are many things that make dating a nerd different from dating other types of people; here are some pros and cons of doing so:
- You can understand all of their references to pop culture.
- “Nerds” are assumed to be intelligent by society, which might make you seem more intelligent too.
- They’re probably more forgiving than the average person, which means you’ll have an easier time getting out of trouble.
- Nerds are usually attracted to things that other people are not, so it can be really fun to be able to explore new hobbies with them.
- Nerds usually have no problem discussing their feelings and emotions, which is really nice. They also usually don’t care what other people think about them, which is great for their self esteem. The patience of nerds can really get you through hard times in life.
- You might never get invited to parties or other social events if they don’t know anyone at the event.
- Nerds often lack social skills, so it’s possible you’ll end up spending your date with them just talking about video games or Lord of the Rings.
- You’ll likely find their obsession with Star Wars or Harry Potter endearing at first, but after a while, you might find it annoying that they can only talk about those things.
- Sometimes spending time with nerds can feel like a chore because all you’re doing is studying and learning new things, which isn’t always fun for those who don’t enjoy those things as much.
To conclude, nerds are very smart and can be great partners to those who enjoy their interests. You should definitely date a nerd if you’re into learning new things and exploring new places together. Just remember that they may not stick around for long if you’re not as passionate about certain things as them. They might seem like the perfect partner, but they might still not be right for you.
Overall, if you are seeking the closest thing to Tinder for nerds, OkCupid is the way to go. Not only does it allow users to add their own nerd badge of honor, but the site is incredibly inclusive of people from all walks of life.