This is a difficult task, but not impossible. If you want to get what you need or want from someone, then these are some of the things that may work on your behalf.
It may not be easy to convince someone else to give you what you want, but if you know the right things to do and say, then there is a chance that they will comply with your request.
There are some techniques that can be used when trying to convince someone else, whether they are your parents or a business associate.
When preparing to convince someone to do something for you, it is very important that you know what the request is and why you want the person to give it to you straight away. It is a good idea to present a proposal first on why you think that it would benefit them as well.
People are more likely to respond positively if the person asking them for something could potentially be giving something in return, even if it isn’t anything major. This shows that they will not just take and not give back.
I’ll give you a short example of requesting a loan from a friend:
You need to know the right time to ask for the money. Ask for the favor when they are in a good mood, which is usually in the evening when they come home from work or at a time when they are relaxed.
Be straightforward and specific. Make sure you ask for the exact amount of money that you need and make a promise to pay them back on a specific date.
Do not pressure them into saying yes.
If the loan benefits the lender in some way, then they are more likely to be interested in loaning the money.
Incentives need to benefit both parties somehow.
In this example, it is best to be upfront and clear about why you need a loan, what you want to use it for and how long you will take to repay them.
You could also give a date of when you can commit to repaying them or even provide some sort of collateral if they are willing.
3 Main things you need to have convincing someone to give you something
- You must have credibility, If people don’t believe you, they will probably not do what you want them to do. Example: (Maybe you have some expertise in the area you need the favor in/for)
- You must appeal to the person by using some emotions in your request. Emotions usually get people to act, so use them when you can! Example: (You want to adopt a puppy or a kitten, or they may never find a loving home).
- And you must use logics and facts to make your case. Example: (People with pets are much more happier than those who don’t have).
Let’s go over more techniques in depth to convince someone to give you something
If you start using these techniques you will start to see results in your approach toward getting what you want.
Target The Appropriate Person
Not everyone will respond to the same requests in the same way, and not every person has the ability to comply with your request. When determining who is the best target for your request, think about where they stand on it and how likely they are to say yes (this is especially important when you’re asking someone else to compromise their own interests in some way).
Prepare For Objections
Some people will actively try to prevent you from getting what you want. Others may not even know that they are causing you pain, and simply need a wake-up call about the situation. Whatever the cause of your request denial, anticipate and prepare for objections, or you may find yourself in a lose-lose situation
Use Leverage And Bargaining Power
What leverage do you have? If it’s something that they want too, then use it! This is especially effective if the benefit of compliance outweighs the cost of resistance (that is, you can make someone feel as if it is easier to say yes than to say no). If you don’t have any leverage on your side, then make a deal. Make a trade! This means that both sides get something instead of giving up what they want all at once
Pitch your idea at the right time
Wait for the right opportunity. Working with others has its own set of challenges. When they are in a bad mood, they will be dismissive and uncooperative. When you can get them in a good mood, they’re more likely to listen to you out of goodwill.
- This also works when people are tired. They will agree with you more easily.
- If you want to talk to your boss about getting a promotion, it’s best not to pounce on them when they walk in the door. It’s better if you wait until later in the day when they are more relaxed.
- Make sure that your proposal is relevant to them. The more clear you are about what the benefits are, the better it will be for you. If they’re not benefiting from whatever you want, then chances are, they won’t give it to you.
- Be sure that you can deliver. Do not just ask for something without having a solid plan of how to go about it.
- Regardless of what method you use, always be kind and respectful because people will respond better if they feel respected.
Make sure that you are giving some background information.
This is important if you want people to understand your needs and requests.
By explaining your needs and why you require them, you may assist the individual in comprehending your request. This demonstrates that you have given consideration to what you are asking and that you care enough to share it with them.
- I need a new tire for my bicycle because the current one is flat. I have been meaning to get it fixed, but I can’t afford to go too far away from home to purchase a new one. Do you think you could help me out?
The individual will most likely understand that this person needs their assistance in getting a tire, but they can also see that they have been considerate by giving some background information.
If you give the person this information, then they will be more likely to help you.
Another way to convince someone is by using what is known as “low-balling”. This technique involves coming up with an offer that seems so attractive to the other person, that they cannot refuse.
- For example: How about if I clean your house for a whole week? This will help you out so much!
You need to be careful with this method because it can backfire on you. You may seem too desperate or needy, and this could result in being taken advantage of. You need to read the person well and be confident that this will work before you try it.
You need to know how far to go with your request, too. Try not to push someone beyond what they are comfortable with; they may reconsider their decision completely or change the terms of the deal.
By using these methods, you can convince someone to give you money, help with a project, or even their time.
Start by giving some background on what it is that you are asking for and why you need it. If the person understands your needs, then they are more likely to agree to what you are requesting of them.
Think about how you are asking for something
Simply ask them nicely. If you are too pushy, it will cause others to be hesitant. People don’t want to feel like they’re being bullied. Utilize phrases like please and thank you to demonstrate your politeness and respectfulness.
- For example, you might say, “May I have your spare ticket to the show tonight? I adore that individual/band and it would be fantastic to spend time with you.”
Be prepared for excuses and pushback
People will try to find ways around giving you what you want. They might give you reasons why they can’t help or that they don’t have funds available: “I don’t own a business.” “I’m not responsible for any charity work.” “I simply don’t have the time.” Your goal here is to understand the reason behind their refusal, so you can counter it with an explanation of your own.
A time when they agreed with a similar request and how that benefitted them
Tell them about a similar request and how it benefited the person. How can they say no to being a part of that same success story?
You have been waiting for your boyfriend/girlfriend to agree with your plan for a long time, but so far you have not succeeded in convincing him/her. Tell about a time you were successful in convincing your spouse/partner of a similar plan and how it benefitted them.
Put It To Them Straight Away
When asking for something important or significant, you should say what you want right away rather than tiptoeing around the topic. If they feel as if you are trying to hide it from them, then they will be more suspicious and less likely to allow it.
- For example, instead of saying “I really need your help with this homework assignment because I don’t understand the subject very well”, you should just say “I need your help with this homework assignment because I don’t understand the subject very well.”
Being clear about your request is the best way to get what you want
Be clear. If your request is vague, the recipient will be less likely to comply. A general request makes it difficult for them to figure out exactly what you want. Even though they want to please you, if you do not tell them specifically what you require, they will have a harder time doing so.
- For example, if you are asking for a loan because you have fallen short financially, say so clearly. How much do you need? How long will it take for you to repay the funds?
- If you ain’t clear about what you need you will look suspicious and untrustworthy.
Have patience when asking for a favor
Patience is a virtue. There are two reasons why you should exercise patience with someone. First and foremost, they might eventually provide what you want. Second, even if they don’t know, you may desire something else from them in the future.
- Perhaps your buddy rejects your request instead of getting angry, allow them to consider it over.
It’s not always easy, but it is possible. If the person says no or objects, try these tips for getting what you want: exercise patience, have credibility, and appeal to their emotions.
Credibility means being trustworthy so they believe your request isn’t completely unreasonable.
Appeal to them on an emotional level by using some empathy – this will get their attention more than anything else.
Logical arguments may come in handy as well; people tend to lean towards those that make sense rather than those with little reasoning behind them. The key thing here is understanding how others think – if you believe that your idea will benefit them, then that’s most important!
Keep these in mind and you will be good!