When someone comes up to you and starts flirting out of nowhere, it can be hard to know how to react. But with a little bit of practice, you can learn how to handle these situations with ease! Here are a few tips on how to answer pick-up lines in a way that will make the other person feel comfortable and appreciated.
What is a pick-up line and how do they work
Have you ever heard someone use a pick-up line and wondered what it meant? Pick-up lines are clever phrases that people use to try and start a conversation with someone they’re interested in.
Most pick-up lines are used by men trying to pick up women, but anyone can use them!
Usually, pick-up lines are used in informal situations, like a bar or a party. They’re usually light-hearted and funny, rather than serious.
Some examples of popular pick-up lines are “Do you believe in love at first sight, or should I walk by again?” and “Are you a parking ticket? Because you’ve got FINE written all over you!” Whether or not pick-up lines actually work is debatable – sometimes they do, sometimes they don’t!
But if you’re feeling confident and want to give it a try, go ahead and give one a shot the next time you’re out meeting new people. Who knows, it might just work!
The different types of pick-up lines
There are all sorts of pick-up lines out there. Some are cheesy, some are sleazy, and some are just plain corny. But which ones actually work? Here are some of the most popular types of pick-up lines, and how they can help you score a date:
Cheesy pick-up lines: Cheesy pick-up lines might make you groan, but they can actually be surprisingly effective. Why? Because they show that you’re confident enough to joke around and that you’re not taking yourself too seriously. Plus, they can be a great icebreaker. Just be sure not to overdo it – otherwise, you might come across as try-hard or desperate.
Sleazy pick-up lines: Sleazy pick-up lines are the ones that you probably shouldn’t use unless you’re looking for a one-night stand. They’re often crude, sexual, or just plain icky. But if you do want to use them, they can be effective in getting someone’s attention – even if it’s not in a good way. Just be careful not to offend anyone!
Corny pick-up lines: Corny pick-up lines are the classics for a reason – they tend to work. Whether it’s because they’re so bad they’re good, or because they show that you’re playful and fun-loving, corniness can actually be endearing. Just make sure you don’t overdo it, or you might come across as try-hard or insincere.
How to react when someone uses a pick-up line on you
When someone uses a pick-up line on you, it can be hard to know how to react. On one hand, you might appreciate the effort that they’ve put into trying to impress you. On the other hand, you might find the whole thing tacky and offensive. If you’re not sure how to react, here are a few tips.
First, try to see the humor in the situation. If you can laugh it off, chances are the other person will too.
Second, don’t take the line too seriously. Pick-up lines are often cheesy and corny, so try not to overthink them.
And finally, if you’re really not interested, just be honest and let the other person down gently. With these tips in mind, you’ll be able to handle pick-up lines like a pro.
Examples of how to answer different types of pick-up lines
You’ve probably heard a pick-up line or two in your lifetime. And you’ve probably rolled your eyes at least once at some of the more cheesy ones. But what if you could turn the tables and use pick-up lines on your potential suitors?
Here are a few examples of how to answer different types of pick-up lines:
- If someone tells you that you’re beautiful, you can say something like, “And you’re not too bad yourself.” This shows that you’re both confident and clever.
- If someone tries to flatter you by telling you that you have a great sense of humor, you can respond with something like, “I know. I’ve been told I’m hilarious.” This is a great way to show that you’re not only funny but also aware of your own sense of humor.
- And if someone tries to be smooth by telling you that they want to see what’s under your hood, you can quip back with something like, “Sorry, this car is for authorized personnel only.” This shows that you’re not only witty but also smart enough to know when someone is trying to take advantage of you.
- To the line “You must be tired because you’ve been running through my mind all day,” you could reply with something like “I’m not tired at all! In fact, I’m feeling pretty energized right now.”
- To the line “Do you believe in love at first sight, or should I walk by again?” you could say something like “I don’t know about love, but I’m definitely interested in seeing more of you.”
- And to the line ” Are you a parking ticket? ‘Cause you’ve got FINE written all over you,” you could respond with “I’d rather be a speeding ticket! That way, I’d know you were eager to see more of me.”
- “You’re the hottest thing I’ve ever seen,” you can simply reply with, “I bet you say that to all the girls.”
- Or, if someone tries to be clever by saying, “Do you believe in love at first sight, or should I walk by again?,” you can put them in their place with a quick, “Actually, I prefer love at second sight. It gives me a chance to get a good look at you.”
- Of course, sometimes people will try to use pick-up lines that are a little more complicated. If someone asks you, “If I could rearrange the alphabet, I would put U and I together,” you can play along by saying, “If I could rearrange the alphabet, I would put F and U together.”
So the next time someone tries to use a pick-up line on you, don’t be afraid to give them a taste of their own medicine.
What to do if the person doesn’t take no for an answer
Let’s face it, we’ve all been there. You’re minding your own business, maybe walking down the street or enjoying a night out with friends, when some random guy comes up to you and hits you with a pick-up line. It’s flattering, sort of, but also really annoying. And then what do you do when they don’t take no for an answer?
Here are a few suggestions on how to handle the situation:
1. Give them a cheesy pick-up line in return. If they’re going to use a clichéd line on you, why not give them one back? It’ll probably throw them off and they’ll leave you alone.
2. Be straightforward and tell them you’re not interested. Sometimes the best way to handle things is just to be direct. Chances are they’ll get the message and move on.
3. Give them a fake number. This one is always fun. They’ll call it later and get some unsuspecting person who will probably have no idea what’s going on.
4. Pretend you have a boyfriend/girlfriend. This one usually works like a charm. Just act like you’re not interested because you already have someone in your life.
5. Walk away! Sometimes the best thing you can do is just walk away and ignore them completely. They’ll eventually get the hint that you’re not interested and hopefully leave you alone.
Tips for avoiding unwanted pickup lines altogether
One easy way to avoid pickup lines altogether is to never leave your house. Just stay inside, order your groceries online, and never interact with another human being again. Problem solved! If you’re not quite ready to take such a drastic step, there are still plenty of ways to avoid unwanted pickup lines.
For example, you could try carrying around a taser or mace. That way, if someone does try to give you a cheesy line, you can just zap ’em and run away.
Or you could try wearing a sign that says “No pickup lines, please!” That way, people will know right away that you’re not interested in their lame attempts at flirting.
So go ahead and put up that “Do Not Disturb” sign – it might just save you from having to hear one too many terrible pickup lines.
If these are a little too extreme for you, there’s always the option of just being polite and saying “no, thank you” when someone tries to hit on you.
No one likes being bombarded with unwanted attention, especially when that attention comes in the form of a cheesy pickup line. If you’re tired of being hit on by guys who think they’re being suave, there are a few things you can do to discourage them.
First, try wearing headphones or reading a book. This will make it clear that you’re not interested in talking. If that doesn’t work, try being blatantly uninterested in what the guy has to say. Pretend to be distracted by your phone or act like you don’t speak English.
Finally, if all else fails, you can always tell the guy that you have a boyfriend. Guys are usually more interested in women who are single, so this will usually cause them to lose interest quickly.
No one likes getting hit on with a cheesy pickup line. They’re usually cringe-worthy, uncomfortable, and just plain awkward. If you find yourself on the receiving end of one of these lines, use some of the tips above to discourage the guy and get him to leave you alone. And if all else fails, remember that you can always just walk away.